This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission when you click the links at no additional cost to you.
Jump to Recipe
Try this amazing smoky twist on the traditional pepperoni rolls recipe! Smoky notes, pepperoni, mozzarella cheese and fresh baked rolls… what’s not to love?!
If you live in or near West Virginia, chances are you’ve snacks on a pepperoni roll. These tasteful treats originated in the 1920’s as a lunch for local coal miners. Now, they are something that can be experienced by all. I’ve also seen versions of pepperoni rolls that are referred to as pepperoni bread.
My family LOVES pepperoni rolls. While the ones I grew up on were made of homemade bread, this recipe makes it a little easier for modern adults by using frozen dinner rolls. I’ll work on getting you a homemade bread recipe to go along with it but for now, this one will do!
Yes, you can smoke bread on your smoker! This recipe will have you cook the pepperoni rolls at 300 degrees for about 30 – 35 minutes. This gives your rolls a lick of smoky notes that pair perfectly with the pepperoni and mozzarella cheese on the inside.
Smoked Pepperoni Roll Recipe
This recipe really is quite simple since we’re using premade dough. To begin, you’ll need to set out 12 frozen dinner rolls and let them rise 1-3 hours. Next, you’ll need to chop about 3 oz of pepperoni in your food processor. If you do not have a food processor, you can just use a knife.
Now comes the fun part! Press your dough flat and fill with chopped pepperoni and shredded mozzarella. You won’t get much in this little rolls but it is more than enough to satisfy your taste buds.
Once all your rolls are filled, brush them with butter and sprinkle with garlic powder. Smoke at 300 degrees for 30 – 35 minutes, just long enough to see the rolls start to brown.
Remove from the smoker and serve! We like to pair these rolls with marinara or ranch dipping sauce.
Smoked Pepperoni Rolls
- 12 frozen dinner rolls, we use Rhodes
- 4 oz pepperoni slices
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- garlic powder
- Set our 12 frozen dinner rolls on a baking sheet. Allow to rise for 1-3 hours.
- Start your smoker and set temperature to 300 degrees.
- Chop pepperoni in a food processor.
- Press rolls flat, one by one, and fill with chopped pepperoni and mozzarella cheese. Fold closed being sure to keep everything inside. Place back on baking sheet. If your baking sheet is older, spray with a nonstick spray to keep rolls from getting stuck.
- Once all rolls are wrapped, glaze rolls with melted butter. Sprinkle garlic powder on top.
- Place baking sheet in smoker for 30 -35 minutes. The tops of the rolls will start to brown. This is when you know they're done.
- Remove from the smoker and serve with marinara sauce or ranch. Store in an airtight container.
Less about us and more about the food. We want to focus on what we all really care about - smoking delicious meals to enjoy with our family & friends. We perfect the recipes, you make the memories.
- Peanut Butter Pretzel Bites Dipped in ChocolatePeanut Butter Pretzel Bites are the ultimate dessert for anyone loves the combination of sweet and salty in one delicious...
- Perfectly Smoked Chuck Roast RecipeMake perfectly smoked chuck roast EVERY SINGLE TIME. This recipe has been on repeat in our home for well over...
- No Bake Avalanche CookiesIt’s always the season for baking with these delicious and simple no bake avalanche cookies! Make them as simple and...
- Award Winning Soft Chocolate Chip CookiesNo joke. These award winning soft chocolate chip cookies will win the hearts of your family and friends no matter...
- Smoked Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf – Cheeseburger StyleAll the goodness of smoked bacon wrapped meatloaf with the added kick of cheeseburger style ingredients! This smoked recipe is...
- Smoked Pumpkin Dump CakeThe seasons of fall in one delicious, smoked dish. Our smoked pumpkin dump cake recipe combines pumpkin and spices to...