This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission when you click the links at no additional cost to you.
No joke. These award winning soft chocolate chip cookies will win the hearts of your family and friends no matter the season!Jump to Recipe
Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies
Hello and welcome! If you’re here, you’re obviously on the hunt for the best possible homemade chocolate chip cookies available on the internet. Well lucky for you, these award winning cookies are jussst what you’re looking for. When I say award winning, I mean it! These cookies won me first place in multiple fun baking competitions. Mainly between friends, family and co-workers. A win is a win right?! More importantly, these mouth-watering cookies won for a reason – because they are THAT good.
I love to make these because I know how much guests enjoy them and because they are seriously simple. No weird ingredients that you’d have to order from overseas. No complex directions like freezing half your egg before mixing. None of that nonsense. Although I’m sure funky steps could make huge impacts, these classic cookies get the job done without all the noise.
How To Make Award Winning Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies
Oh, I’m so happy you asked 🙂 Start by gathering your ingredients, preheating your oven and then making magic happen! Read below for all the details.
Ingredients & Equipment
The ingredients you’ll need are flour, salt, baking soda, vanilla extract, chocolate chips (mini or normal morsels), unsalted butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and 1 egg. The equipment you’ll need is an oven (of course), a mixer, measuring utensils, a cookie sheet, parchment paper if you’d like, a cooling rack and a sheet pan.
Okay lets get down to it! First, preheat that oven. 350 degrees is where you’ll want to be before baking your cookies.
Now, lets mix the dry ingredients. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda in a bowl and set to the side while we work on the wet ingredients. It’s very important to pay attention here – the key is to NOT OVERMIX. That means minimal mixing, okay? So, add your softened butter to your mixer. If you didn’t soften your butter, no problem! Throw that stick of unsalted butter in the microwave for 5-8 seconds. I know, I know. This is taboo but it literally always works for me. You just need your butter to be soft enough. Now, add 6 tablespoons of granulated sugar to the butter and 1/2 a cup of brown sugar. Mix until fully blended. This is the one step where overmixing is not an issue.
Okay, now we’re onto the part where you CANNOT OVERMIX! Add your egg and 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract to the butter mixture. Blend until just combined. Now, slowly add your flour mix to your bowl a little bit at a time. Once all of the flour is in the mixing bowl let combine for about 10 seconds and stop your mixer. I know this seems weird, but you still want to see the white flour coating the dough.
Remove your bowl from the mixing stand and add your chocolate chips. Combine using your hands. This may take a minute because a lot of the chips fall to the bottom of the bowl. That’s totally fine!
Now it’s time to make your dough balls. If your cookie dough feels super sticky and warm, place it in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes. The dough doesn’t need to be super cold but it should be overly sticky in your hands. Create cookie dough balls about 1-1.5 inches in diameter and place 2 inches apart on a parchment covered sheet pan. My photo below does not show parchment paper because guess what, I RAN OUT! Of course. That wasn’t going to stop me from sharing my recipe.
Place dough into preheated oven for 8.5-9.5 minutes. Timing will depend on the size of your dough balls. Remove from the oven and let sit about a minute on the pan and then transfer to a cooling rack. Last big detail here – Let these rest. FULLY. I’m talking overnight if possible but if not, 3-4 hours. You can eat them before then but these cookies finish cooking while they cool. You can also add a pinch of salt to them as soon as they come out of the oven.
NEWSLETTER COMING SOON
Be one of the first to join our newsletter! Starting in January of 2023 we’ll be sending out a monthly newsletter sharing the latest on our blog. We are adding an entire new section, In The Kitchen, to share some delicious non-smoked recipes. We promise, everything we share with you will be worth trying!
Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
Enjoy this baking experience and the delicious treat that soon awaits your taste buds! P.S. Sprinkle a little extra salt on top for some real pizzazz!
Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 Kitchen Aid Mixer or hand held mixer
- parchment paper
- baking sheet
- cooling rack
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 6 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips, mini or regular
- preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, salt and baking soda in a bowl. Set to the side.
- Place butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat until well combined.
- Add egg & vanilla to butter mixture and beat just until combined. DO NOT OVER MIX!
- Next, set your mixer speed to 2 or low and slowly add the flour mixture. As soon as this is combined, turn off the mixture. Again, DO NOT OVERMIX. Your dough should still show the white flour.
- Add chocolate chips to dough and hand combine.
- Roll your cookies into 1.5 in balls and place on your parchment lined baking sheet.
- Place in oven for 10 minutes. Please note – cookies may not look fully cooked when you pull them out. THAT IS OKAY!
- Let your cookies rest on the baking sheet for 1-2 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack. Let them set until chocolate chips are not longer melted. The longer they sit, the better they taste.
- Place in an airtight container.
Notes For Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies
DO NOT OVER MIX. Don’t let this scare you! Read the directions ahead of time and you’ll be good to go.
DO NOT OVER COOK! It feels weird pulling these out early but trust me, they finish cooking as they cool. Make sure you give them the time they need, ~4 hours
If you do want to eat these right away, that’s okay. I get it! Just make sure you let them cook fully in the oven so they are safe for your loved ones to enjoy right away!
Pinterest is our blogs family photo album. We add every single recipe to Pinterest so that the photos of our food can inspire you to try it. Give us a follow on Pinterest and add this recipe to your Pinterest board by clicking the photo below.
Less about us and more about the food. We want to focus on what we all really care about - smoking delicious meals to enjoy with our family & friends. We perfect the recipes, you make the memories.
- Peanut Butter Pretzel Bites Dipped in ChocolatePeanut Butter Pretzel Bites are the ultimate dessert for anyone loves the combination of sweet and salty in one delicious...
- Perfectly Smoked Chuck Roast RecipeMake perfectly smoked chuck roast EVERY SINGLE TIME. This recipe has been on repeat in our home for well over...
- No Bake Avalanche CookiesIt’s always the season for baking with these delicious and simple no bake avalanche cookies! Make them as simple and...
- Award Winning Soft Chocolate Chip CookiesNo joke. These award winning soft chocolate chip cookies will win the hearts of your family and friends no matter...
- Smoked Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf – Cheeseburger StyleAll the goodness of smoked bacon wrapped meatloaf with the added kick of cheeseburger style ingredients! This smoked recipe is...
- Smoked Pumpkin Dump CakeThe seasons of fall in one delicious, smoked dish. Our smoked pumpkin dump cake recipe combines pumpkin and spices to...